Halong bay, Vietnam is known not only as a UNESCO World Heritage Site but also one of the world's most famous natural destinations. But few know that located in the south of Thailand, Phang Nga bay is also called “Halong bay of Thailand” or “Halong bay’s twin brother”. This article will analyze should we visit Halong or Phang Nga bay.
- How interesting is Phang Nga bay?
Located not far from the north of Phuket - Thailand, Phang Nga bay (Koh Phang Nga) is a large bay containing more than 40 rocky islands. Because of these islands’ natural features, many Vietnamese visitors have wondered whether it is Halong or Phang Nga bay.
Once set foot on Phang Nga bay, any traveler must be overwhelmed by its beauty. The first impression is many limestone caves are standing among the immensity of the sea. The reasons that Phang Nga is called “the second Halong bay” is the system of over 100 large and small islands. It is because the water flowed through the limestone 10 thousands years to form some caves, islets shaped in this unique place. The most famous is “James Bond island” with a shape of pestle made a dramatic appearance in The Man with the Golden Gun, starring by James Bond in 1974.
At sunset, when the sun is coming down the mountain is also the most appropriate time for visitors to sail on the sea and explore the brilliant scene. Besides, Phang Nga bay is attractive to tourists by the coast stretching with white sand, blue sea and diverse ecosystem. Many visitors come here just to see the peace of the sea, sit quietly on the sand and admire the beauty of nature here.
- Why Halong bay is worth visting?
Halong bay, which is dotted with 1,600 limestone islands and islets and covers an area of over 1,500 sqkm, is a natural wonder in northern Vietnam. This extraordinary area was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. For many tourists, this place is like something right out of a movie. The fact is that Halong bay features a wide range of biodiversity, while the surrealistic scenery has indeed featured in endless movies.
Seeing similarities between two paradise bays, many visitors still confuse about choosing Halong or Phang Nga bay? These below is the reason:
- Halong bay was erected in the process of geological tectonics that took place millions of years ago. However, under Vietnamese’s folklore, Halong Bay islands was born out of legends. Halong bay has a legend about its origin and all islands’ names for curious visitors to discover
- Compared to Halong bay, Phang Nga bay is much smaller, making people feel like taking on a river rather than ocean. Halong bay has a system of thousands island, while Phang Nga has less than 100 ones. Therefore, if you want to enjoy the night on large cruises, Halong bay is also the best choice
- The famous beaches of Phuket such as Patong are not as beautiful and pristine as the Ti island, Quan Lan, Tuan Chau, Bai Chay beaches of Halong
- Although tourism services of Vietnam in general and Halong in particular are not as developed as Thailand, cost of a trip to Halong bay is obviously cheaper than Phang Nga bay. Not only accommodations, but the food, cruises and entertainments prices in Halong city are very reasonable
In short, Halong or Phang Nga bay are worth travelling destinations, hope you will have an interesting trip.